Saturday 6 June 2009

Friday 5th June.

It rains all day. I visit three more places from Craig's List - all of them in the Park Slope area. Two are being sublet by Tamara. She is Serbian. She tells me about her family. She runs for the crossing when the red hand is flashing. The two places are very good. One is a room in her own flat, the other a studio on the 8th floor of a building a few streets away. It has a view of Manhattan. It's quiet. I have been walking in the rain. I bought an umbrella, but I am cold because I only have a thin sweater. All my stuff is still at Guy's place, up in Bushwick. Tamara lets me borrow a jacket belonging to her dad - a heavy black cotton thing, ex-army I think. She is so nice to me, I almost rush into making a deal again. She offers me the keys. I say I'll think about it and talk to her tomorrow. I see one more place in the afternoon but it's smaller and I would be sharing with two people. I decide to leave the decision until I get to Donna's. She has said I can stay another night.

I worry that I'm imposing on Donna. She is working a 12 hour shift today: 8am until 8pm. I worry that she will be tired and regret letting me stay. But when I see her she is in a good mood. She is incredibly easy-going. She tells me about the births at the hospital and we look at film reviews. There is nothing either of us want to see. She says why don't we watch Angels and Demons? I tell her that's a terrible idea. Did she see the first one? The Da Vinci Code? It was supposed to be awful. 'That was a good film! Where they steal the painting...' she says. I look up Rotten Tomatoes and read her some of the bad reviews. She says 'I've never even heard of Rotten Tomalfies, anyway.' My accent is throwing her off. Eventually we work out that she hasn't seen The Da Vinci Code. She's confusing it with The Thomas Crown Affair.

I email Tamara and tell her I'd like to let from her. I say I'd be happy with the studio or the room at her place. I email Guy and tell him I won't need the room any more. I say I'm sorry. I ask if he could give me some of the money back.

No comments:

Post a Comment